Please visit A Reader's Nook

Friday, December 28, 2012

Through the Postern Gate

by Florence Barclay
I really like this book. I will admit to reading it two times in the last few months. Probably more than I should considering the fact that it is a very sentimental and old fashioned. But I just love it and I have good company because I have heard that the last Empress of Russia also liked it.
  The plot of the story revolves around Guy Chelsea and Christobel Charteris, the main characters. Guy is rarely referred to by his given name; mostly he is called "Little Boy Blue."
  The story starts out with Guy proposing to Christobel. There is a problem though, she is ten years older than he is. This age gap is made even more awkward by the fact that she knew him when he was six and she was sixteen. The age gap is super obvious at first and it is not until the very end that the story loses the strangeness of such a plot. It is a plot twist not often seen, we think nothing of a ten year gap if the man is older than the woman but I have never seen one the other way around.
  I really like Christobel because she is serious and Christian but she is also pretty liberated for her time. She lives alone with an old house keeper and she is not only very well educated she has also went to college and is a star tennis player. Guy is totally different, he is a pilot, quite ordinarily educated and not at all serious. Then to add further conflict Christobel is sort of committed, though not engaged, to the "Professor." By that I mean that his sister has talked about the fact that he loves her and that he as been waiting to ask her to marry him for twelve years because he did not have the money.
  The romance between these two seemed pretty real although it was super clean. That is something I am always thankful for. I really liked how Florence Barclay made the characters grow throughout the book and how their feelings gradually changed and developed.
  On the whole, if you like old fashioned romances with unusually plot lines I would definitely recommend you pick it up.
Reviewed by Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment