Please visit A Reader's Nook

Friday, December 7, 2012

The Ranch Girls of Rainbow Lodge

By Margaret Vandercook
Have I mentioned that I love old girls series books from the teens and twenty's? I love them because while they are completely unrealistic they often have a charm that is surprising. This book could also be called,"The Feminist Manifesto" because the characters are seriously modern and cool.
The "Ranch Girls" are three orphan girls who run a ranch. By run a ranch I mean literally and this book is written in 1911. The oldest is sixteen and named Jacqueline Ralston who is more commonly called Jack. Jack is the coolest of the girls; she can shoot, ride horses expertly as well as run the ranch. Her cousin Jean Bruce is not half so cool and her sister Frieda can be really annoying. But I still like them.
The girls meet what they think is a Indian girl named Olive and I must warn you this has a lot of racist stuff. Olive is of course not Indian and terribly beautiful and sweet. They kinda adopt her when they find out she is of unknown parentage. Then there is always the overseer of the ranch Jim Colter and their chaperon Ruth Drew. Ruth is a stuffy old maid type and Jim is a typical western man but it is pretty clear that sparks fly between them from the first. Then there is Frank Kent, a young British man who happens to be staying with the girls arch enemy named Dan Norton. Oh and he just happens to be the son of Lord Kent.Totally, I would not make this stuff up.
I would recommend this book to anyone who like me enjoy old books or if you like westerns.
Reviewed by Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment